We ran again this morning, so, as the gorgeous, warm afternoon beckoned us outside, we looked for a shorter hike nearby. We had wondered about Gouldsboro State Park, which is not far from us and is connected to Tobyhanna State Park by the 3.2-mile Frank Gantz Trail. We hopped over there planning to hike a portion of the trail that looped around Gouldsboro Lake, which is a man-made lake.
The following is excerpted from a page on the Pennsylvania State Parks website describing the history of the lake and park:
The name Gouldsboro comes from the village north of the park that was named for Jay Gould, the New York railroad tycoon. One of the railroads he owned was the Erie-Lackawanna.
From about 1900 to 1936, Tobyhanna and Gouldsboro lakes were the site of active ice industries. The ice was cut from the lakes during the winter and stored in large barn-like structures. During the rest of the year, the ice was added to railroad boxcars hauling fresh produce and meats destined for East Coast cities. Boxcar loads of ice were also shipped to cities for use in family iceboxes.
In 1912, the federal government acquired the land that became the Tobyhanna Military Reservation, Tobyhanna State Park and Gouldsboro State Park. In World War I, the Army used the reservation as a tank and ambulance corps training center. From 1918 to 1931, the reservation was used for artillery training. In the early 1930s, the reservation housed Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees. From 1937 to 1941, the reservation served as an artillery training center for West Point cadets. During World War II, the reservation housed German prisoners-of-war. From 1946 to 1948, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers used the reservation.
In 1948, the War Assets Administration took control of the property and in April of 1949, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania received title to what is now Tobyhanna and Gouldsboro State Parks and State Game Lands 127. Tobyhanna State Park opened to the public in 1949. Gouldsboro State Park opened to the public in 1958.
Here we are at the trailhead:
The Steamtown Railroad is based at the Steamtown National Historic Site, where a railroad museum and heritage railroad are located on 62.48 acres in downtown Scranton, Pennsylvania, at the site of the former Scranton yards of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad. The museum is built around a working turntable and a roundhouse that are largely replications of the original DL&W facilities. The site also features several original outbuildings dated between 1899 and 1902.
All the buildings on the site are listed with the National Register of Historic Places. Several working locomotives take visitors on short excursions through the Scranton yard in the spring, summer, and fall. Longer excursions are scheduled with separate tickets. These include a ride on a Pullman coach and longer trips to various nearby towns, including the Lackawanna River valley and Carbondale, Tobyhanna and Moscow, Pennsylvania. On rare occasions, excursions are run to the Delaware Water Gap, to Cresco, Pennsylvania, and East Stroudsburg, and Gouldsboro, after which our lake was named, and which sits only a few miles from the state park.
Unfortunately, we couldn't hike too far along the railroad tracks or lake, because it was time to turn back. We retraced our steps until we reached Beaver Bridge again. This time, Kathy headed downstream toward the lake on a side trail she spotted, while David shot this video of the beaver dam at Beaver Bridge.
Meanwhile, Kathy discovered another beaver dam downstream:
By now, it was after 3:00 pm, and we needed to get back to the homestead to give Ruby Kitten her afternoon outing. We were able to do that before sundown, and thus ends another day on our Tobyhanna stop for the DavenKathy Vagabond Blog.